Monday, November 22, 2010

Miami, FL: Mother killed, 3 kids shot in home

MIAMI (WSVN) -- A woman has died and three of her children are recovering in the hospital after an unthinkable act occurred inside their home.

North Miami Beach Police responded to the scene at the home near 1500 NE 151 Terrace just before 11:30 p.m., Saturday. According to police, a domestic dispute escalated between a woman and her boyfriend, 37-year-old Mark Glinton. Police said during the altercation, Glinton shot the woman and three of her children multiple times, then turned the gun on himself. Both the woman and her boyfriend died on scene.

According to police, one of the children who was shot, 10-year-old Xavier, went from his house to a neighbor's house and asked for help.

A fourth child, 2-year-old Christian, was found wandering nearby the scene of the shooting. He was the only one who was not injured. Christian's father, Ricardo Fils-Aime, described how he felt after he heard about the shooting. "I was furious. I was mad, kind of scraped myself up a little bit," he said. "I'm just praying a lot. I'm praying a lot, you know, and I'm just trying to keep my composure as well, 'cause she is my baby's mother. If I had any last things to tell her, I just wanted to tell her that I love her, and I just wish that, wherever she's at, that God be with her."

According to Fils-Aime, the only reason why Christian is still alive is because one of his brothers, 13-year-old Quentin, protected him during the shooting. "Putting his life at risk like that, covering him up and took four bullets for his own brother," he said.

Miami-Dade Air Rescue transported the three children who were shot, Xavier, Quentin and 14-year-old Ashley, to Jackson Memorial Hospital, where they remain in critical condition. Xavier's father, Wils Dorleus, said, "I can't hear him talking. He just moves his lips, so I told him, 'Don't move. Don't move.' That shocked me a lot. I don't know why somebody can do some kind of thing like that."

Dorleus said Ashley was able to tell him what occurred on the night of the shooting. "When she went in the room, she saw her mom lying down on the ground. The man had a pistol in his hand. She said, 'You killed my mom? You killed my mom?' That's when he shot her and went back in the room, shot my son and my stepson," Dorleus said.

According to police, the gunman was not the father of any of the children involved in the shooting.

Police continue to investigate the shooting.

No comments: