Saturday, April 24, 2010

Memphis, TN: Pate's Murder Confession Heard in Court

Updated: Thursday, 22 Apr 2010, 8:55 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 22 Apr 2010, 4:55 PM CDT

Lauren
Lee
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A judge has decided to take another listen to the taped confession of Thomas Pate. Defense attorneys and prosecutors listened in as Pate recalled the night his wife vanished.

Thomas Pate sat quietly in court as the judge and his parents listened to his emotionally charged confession, the night following his wife's disappearence.

Officer: "Micah's a very pretty, Micah's a very pretty woman. If she's out there, exposed to the elements, it's going to be hard on her."

Pate is facing a first degree murder charge for his wife's death.

The 26-year-old woman was found shot to death in the Loosahatchie River bottoms near Brunswick Road in May of 2009.

Police say Thomas Pate threw her body in the river and then reported her missing.

When Bartlett Police questioned Pate about where his wife may be, he demanded to speak to his father.

Officer: "I will let you talk to your dad if you tell us where Micah is."
Pate: "I really want to talk to my dad. Please. I don't know. I don't know."
Officer: "All you got to do is help us and lead us to where she is (inaudible)"
Pate: "I don't know. I want to talk to my freakin dad."

During the interrogation, investigators brought up Pate's affair with another woman, as well as his addiction to cocaine and alcohol.

Officer: "Did your wife find out about you meeting up with your girlfriend or having any other problems?"
Pate: "I don't know"
Officer: "You don't know?"

After several long hours, Pate's father was finally brought in to talk to his son. That's when he broke down and told police where his wife's body was.

Pate: "Oh God! Oh God!, I can't do it."
Dad: "Thomas, look at me, look at me. We've come this far, let's go the rest of the way. Let's get it over with. You'll feel better when this is over with. Thomas. Thomas. I can't help you 'til you tell me the truth. Go ahead, okay? Did you kill Micah?"
Pate: "No."
Dad: "Did you shoot her? Did you shoot Micah? Did you shoot Micah?"
Pate: "We were going to shoot her gun (inaudible)."
Dad: "Where is she at? Did you shot Micah? Did you shoot Micah?"
Pate: "We were going to shoot her gun (inaudible)"
Dad: "Where is she at? Where is she, son? Please tell me the truth."
Pate: "I feel terrible (inaudible)."
Dad: "Thomas is she at the water hole, son? Is that where she is? Where is she son? Please tell me son."
Pate: "Loosahatchie River...on the Loosahatchie."
Dad: "She's on the Loosahatchie. Can you tell us?"
Pate: (Inaudible)
Dad: "Can you tell us, for her."
Pate: "Off Brunswick Road."

Pate went on to tell detectives and his father Micah walked in front the gun when he fired the shot. He says he asked if she was okay, and when she didn't respond, he threw the gun in the river and took off.

Pate: "It was an accident. It was an accident. I'm sorry (inaudible)."

The gun used in Micah Pate's death was never recovered.

The judge will make a decision on whether the confession can be used as trial evidence on June 11th.

No comments: