Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hurst, TX: Woman fatally struck in apparent murder-suicide outside Walmart

Posted Thursday, Oct. 22, 2009
By MITCH MITCHELL
mitchmitchell@star-telegram.com

HURST -- A Grapevine woman died Wednesday after her husband struck her with his car and then shot himself in an apparent murder-suicide.

Sandra Bentley, 50, was pronounced dead about 2:30 p.m. Thursday at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth, according to the Tarrant County medical examiner’s Web site.

Her husband, Curtis Bentley, 53, also of Grapevine, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound while still in the family vehicle, police said.

Witnesses told a police officer that Curtis Bentley was in the Walmart parking lot, 1730 Precinct Line, driving at a high rate of speed when he stuck his wife, said Hurst Sgt. Craig Teague, police spokesman.

Police received the call about 11:30 a.m., Teague said.

After striking his wife, a witness said that Bentley rolled forward about 75 feet and then shot himself, Teague said.

Police have not tracked down a motive and continue to investigate, Teague said.

The Bentleys are survived by four children, police said.

3 comments:

Jane Doe said...

Sandy Bentley was a dear friend of mine and asked me to tell the truth about the events leading up to her murder. Sandy was a gentle, kind, godly woman who was in an abusive relationship with a husband who was hooked on Vicodine and alcohol. Sandy had courageously began to find her way to a healthier, happier life when her journey was cut short. No matter how many people she told, no one would believe that her "executive" husband threatened her repeatedly to keep the secrets of his addictions and abuse. Her husband consistently denied his addictions to his family and friends. She sought help from the church, her friends, police and lawyers to no avail. Why is it so difficult for people to believe a woman is in an abusive situation? Where does she go for help? When all else fails, where does she go to protect her life? It is so very difficult to fight a lying abuser. What happens when the wrong person is believed and the true story is changed? She was failed by family and friends and was brutally murdered. It was important to Sandy that if Curtis succeeded in murdering her, people would know why and the true story would be told. Sandy was my friend and I miss her and I hopes this brings her peace.

Cathy C. Church said...

John, I am so sorry to hear about the circumstances surrounding Sandy's death. I am also sorry for your loss.
It is circumstances like Sandy's that compelled me to build Access Justice Now, a non-profit dedicated to bringing justice to victims. As a former prosecutor, I know only too well, the short-comings of the criminal justice system. Access Justice Now was built to effectuate social change when victims, like Sandy, are ignored and eventually killed.
Please contact me if you have any questions. Sandy's death should not be in vain.

Cathy Church

Unknown said...

John, I just want you to know that Sandy told me about how things were and I did believe her. I told her to get the hell away from him. I love Sandy with all my heart and would give anything to have her back. I looked up to both of them my whole life and I told her she needed to leave. She also told me how she was treated differently in the church. I believed that as well. I just wanted to tell you that I believed her!!!!!